- Lead delivery of the Business Plan and Strategy that supports the objectives of Carnell to improve market penetration in the South, including to:
- Identify and secure a forward works programme with new clients,
- Grow the scale of the business with new clients
- Improve profitability of the business.
You will work collaboratively with clients, supporting their needs and will have access to Carnell Asset Management Tools, Subject Matter Experts, and specialist supply chain. You will provide a monthly report for the Operations Director outlining, current workload, issues, client’s needs, and potential work winning opportunities.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Ensure all works are carried out to the contract specification
- Liaise with clients and maintain good business relationships
- Liaise with clients to ensure a steady flow of work is available to maintain site resource levels
- Ensure that the contracts comply with specific SHEQ documentation
- Ensure all contracts have sufficient resource
- Ensure efficient use of company plant and vehicles
- Monitor working hours and authorise exceedances for employees and our supplier’s employees
- Assist support services with issuing and receiving contract related paperwork
- Monitor working hours and authorise exceedances for employees and our supplier’s employees.
- Liaise with the SHEQ department regarding operational training requirements and renewals
- Manage and operate a Carnell Scotland office.
- Responsibility for performance of Contract Managers, Supervisors and Foremen under their control and to continually appraise and develop their skills
- Organise the delivery of associated pre-start briefings and ongoing toolbox talks, complete and submit the associated paperwork
- Organise training of employees in the various skills required for execution of the works
- Annual appraisal of Contract Managers and supervisors
- Previous experience in contracts management within the construction industry
- A good understanding of highways drainage and the current specifications (CS 551, CD 535, ADMM, MCHW, DMRB)
- Computer literate in Microsoft Excel & Word
- Good understanding of relevant health & safety legislation
- Good understanding of business strategy
- UK Driving License required
- Company car/ car allowance
- IT equipment & mobile phone
- Generous holiday allowance
- Group Income Protection
- Private Medical
- Pension Scheme
- Online Rewards Platform with access to over 900 retailers
- To undertake other miscellaneous activities/project work deemed appropriate for the role of Operations Manager to assist with the efficient operation of the business.
- Deal with sensitive information with discretion, always maintaining confidentiality.
- Live our company values – Passionate, Responsive, Innovative, Trustworthy, Respectful.
- Excellent communicator
Specific job skills
- Knowledge of working in the construction industry and high-speed roads
- Good understanding of Health and Safety Legislation
- Good knowledge of relevant Design Manual for Roads & Bridges (DMRB) standards.
- Extensive knowledge of Construction Design Management 2015 and associated duties.
- People motivator in leading a Southern office.
Education and/or qualifications
- A degree or equivalent (HND/HNC) in construction management or project management
- Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS)
- CSCS card (preferably managers)
- Good understanding on Asset Management
Carnell is committed to a diverse, inclusive workforce, offering equal opportunity to all.
We create an environment where difference is embraced and individuals flourish. We value passionate, responsive, innovative, trustworthy, and respectful people.
These behaviours are embedded across the company, they guide us in all actions both on site and in the office.
We are committed to ensuring the health and wellbeing of all our employees; not only ensuring that everybody goes home safely but also giving all a good work life balance.