GeneralCarnell have secured long-term civils and drainage framework contracts for National Highways on the strategic road network. We are are looking to grow our delivery teams to tackle this increased workload and want a local resource, so are focusing recruitment around Leeds, Northampton, Peterborough and Stoke. However, we have contracts nationwide and will consider all applicants.
The RoleOperatives play an important role in delivery of the work programme to the client to time, cost and quality. The role requires a good general understanding of working on high speed roads and in a civil engineering environment. Role holders need excellent communication skills and be able to work as part of a team. Operatives are required to follow instructions from Supervisors or Operations Division Managers and comply with site safety rules and our Health and Safety policies and standards.
The role holder must be flexible and able to work away from home, undertake duties at night and be able to do overtime when necessary.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities – but not limited to;
- Receiving Start of Shift Briefings
- Kerbing/ Edgings
- Flagging/ Trenching
- Drainage all depths
- Ducting/ Cabinet sites
- Cable Pulling
- Step building
- Chamber construction
- Ensure that all works are completed to the highest quality standard in line with the design and specification for the project
- Support Site Supervisor/ Site Engineer in the completion of inspection/ testing of completed works in line with the Inspection Test Plan (ITP).
- Work considerately and take into account the requirements of customers – road users/ local communities, always interacting with them in a courteous way.
- Relay information given by supervisors to others on site
- Ensuring work area is ready for construction
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements
- Experience in Highways
- Multi skilled in aspects of civils works
- Ability to tow trailers
- NPORS / CPCS training in Excavators/Dumpers/Rollers
- CSCS Operative Card essential
- Cat & Genny training
- NRSWA Accreditation desirable
- Ability to read plans and drawings
- Roller & Dumper cards / trained
- Safe excavation techniques
- Complete installation of works to the correct detail and specifications
- Ability to work as part of a team
- An understanding of relevant Health & Safety legislation
- Honest and trustworthy
- Excellent communication skills
- Company vehicle (per gang), fuel card and PPE are all provided.
- A full SHEQ induction will be carried out upon start.
- Please note pre-employment D&A testing will be required due to the nature of the industry.
- Additional night shift allowance